Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Avoidance

Let us ponder this for a moment.

A description of the term avoidance says that "In avoidance, we simply find ways of avoiding having to face uncomfortable situations, things or activities." Well, yes. Thank you very much. I am avoiding thinking. Also cleaning. Lots of avoiding cleaning. Lots.

It also states that "Avoidance may include removing oneself physically from a situation. It may also involve finding ways not to discuss or even think about the topic in question." Ah yes. Here comes the fun part. As I avoid my thoughts and my unkempt home, I knit. I have been knitting like a fiend. In the last week I have finished one sock, cast on, finished, and frogged another sock. I have knit a purse (I did this yesterday. Finished it in less than 8 hours. WOOT!) I have cast on and frogged (and frogged, and frogged again) something that I think wants to be a summer tank for Maia, but seeing as how she violantly hates the last sweater I made for her, I'm not so sure right now. Maybe that is why it has not come to be on my needles. I cannot completely visualize the finished object yet. But that didn't stop me from casting on three times before I put the yarn back in the pile. Sigh.

On a particular high, I found patterns for some secret knitting that I am doing, and ordered yarn. The first shipment of yarn arrived today! Isn't it beatiful? I feel a little bit of the Harlot seeping into my bones as I too channel Smeagol, thinking to myself, "We loves it. We pets it. We knits it!" It is a beautiful blend of Mohair, wool, and silk. It is lovely to behold, and I cannot wait to see the thing that it is to become. But that will likely take a while. I do not knit as fast as our lovely Harlot...yet. Give me another 10 years of practice, and then maybe I'll take her head on in a knit off. But for now, there is just no way that I can compete with 3 complete baby sweaters in 2 weeks. Sigh. If you haven't seen them yet, you should go look. They are cute as buttons, and I wish that I could make a trip to Toronto to go get one. And sit in on the knit night. I don't think I could go through that city and not go. It would be like being in New York and not seeing the statue of liberty. You just couldn't do it. Well, I couldn't.

So. Avoidance.

"Avoidance is a simple way of coping by not having to cope. When feelings of discomfort appear, we find ways of not experiencing them." Uh, yup. That's what I'm doing.

"Procrastination is another form of avoidance where we put off to tomorrow those things that we can avoid today." I should seriously have a degree in this. It might be hereditary. I understand from my mother that my father has a degree in this as well. I have a lot in common with my father. Many have said that the fruit hasn't fallen far from the tree when they get to know us. Seriously. Girls are supposed to marry men like their fathers, because they are just like their mothers. Well, I married a man just like my mother...because I am just like my dad. Sigh. It works, in a twisted sort of way.

Oh yeah. Avoidance.

"To get someone to face what they are avoiding, you may have to corner them or otherwise present them with a situation where they are unable to avoid the situation. " This is what my brilliant husband has done.

So, Saturday is Maia's 2nd birthday. For once, I had agreed that we would do just a family thing, because Javier doesn't really like having to entertain. He's a very private kind of person, and finds it difficult to come up with the energy to be a host. So imagine my surprise when I discover that we are getting a cake. On Saturday. From Costco. BIG CAKE. Lots of cake. Strangely, I thought "okay, lots of cake. We'll just give the rest to my parents, or my brother to feed to his friends." No. My husband is simply a coniving, and clever man. He was not finished. "So are we having everyone over on Saturday? We have all that cake...." Damn. Now I have to clean the house. He knows I will do it. I cannot have our family over, and NOT clean the house, at least a little. Fucking Brilliant. My husband. Gotta love him. I'm getting kind of tired of swimming in Charlie hair anyway. I have to say though, this is the best thing he has ever come up with to get me to clean the house. Not a word in anger will be spoken. I will simply get it done. And he knows it.

He forgot one thing though. Now I'm going to make him mow the lawn. I cannot have our family over with the lawn 3 feet tall. I am not the only one in our house to practice avoidance it seems. But the company is good.

A final note...Happy Birthday to me! Another year older. I hope a little wiser. Carry on.

What am I avoiding thinking about, you ask? I'm avoiding that. Maybe later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need a goat to keep the yard in check. Maybe one of those goats that have hair, errrr, fur that you can knit with.


Moo!

JEANNETTE said...

Welcome to the Knitting Bloggers ring! Just thought I'd stop by and say "hi" (I'm fairly new on the ring too).
Did you make those adorable pocket monsters using your own pattern or are the patterns available somewhere? My nephew would LOVE those.