Thursday, November 1, 2007

Holy Hopping Horrors, Batman!

Just thought I would let all of you know that I'm alive and well. Adjusting to a short term stint with hubby on days. This is odd, if you consider that I have been with my husband now for 16 years, and in all that time, he has been working nights or swing shift. Most people think that I would really like this little taste of normalcy, but I'm not finding it all it's cracked up to be. My husband is no longer home for dinner reliably. I don't have help in the afternoon with kids while I'm trying to help Brandon with his homework. I don't have help with the kids while I'm making dinner. And that fabled "evening time" is a complete loss. We're both so exhausted at the end of the day that by the time I've read to the boys (note I did not say that they were actually asleep) and I have escaped the boys bedroom, we don't watch TV, or even stop to talk. We crawl into bed (with our wide awake toddler) and try desperately to get some sleep before the alarm goes off, and it all starts again.

The good points? Javier is getting slightly more sleep than when he worked nights. And I have a little more time to TRY to clean our house by the end of the day. But with everything else going on with the kids, I feel like I'm barely making it. I hope it gets easier. We don't really know when he'll be back on nights, and we'll be going back to our normal schedule. They may decide to keep him on days, in which case, I guess we'll just adjust. Maybe there will come a time when we will actually be able to sit together, with ALL the children in bed, and you know, maybe watch an hour of TV, or talk for a little while. Sigh. So far we're about 4 weeks behind in Heroes. Kind of sad that we don't even manage 1 hour of TV a week. Some people do twice that in a day. I'm dying to see what happens with Peter. DON'T SPOIL IT!!!!

We did manage to have a happy Halloween last night. The boys were Eragon and Brom from the Movie Eragon. And Maia was a cute little ladybug. I'll post pictures as soon as I have a few more moments that I can sqeeze into my day!

2 comments:

Romi said...

Glad to hear you're well. :) What a busy time of year, no?

Anonymous said...

That is a *major* change in your family life (whether short-term or not)- no wonder you're exhausted. Here's hoping it gets easier (or ends!) very soon...