Sunday, July 1, 2007

Slow and steady...

You all know that saying, the one that always conjures up mental pictures of cocky Hares and patient Tortoises. Slow and steady wins the race. Sigh. I am in a race now. I have a major project to complete. One that I thought was within my grasp. One that I could see the result, and almost feel the joy in completing and gifting to someone special in my life. Alas, I have grossly underestimated the amount of time that I will need to complete this project. I am knitting at a much slower pace that I thought I would - but then this is the most complex lace adventure I have undertaken, and the first time I am knitting with actual lace (nearly cobweb) weight yarn. It's a little bit fiddly. Add to that the pie in the sky dreams of actually being able to knit for an hour or two each day (3 children definitely put that idea to rest), and I am not going to be anywhere near done with my project when I wanted to be. I am a little bit sad. But, if I keep up with my efforts, and knit slow and steady, then perhaps I will have this for Christmas, AND be able to work on other projects this summer - like my Beach socks, or the Lace Edged Tee that has been on my needles for nearly 8 months now. I think that small needles and smaller yarn are teaching me a much needed lesson in knit humility, just when I was feeling a little bit cocky, and imagining a speedy finish. There is wisdom everywhere, and I find it - and many other things - at the tip of a knitting needle more often than I might like to admit to everyday muggles. But there it is. I am off for another 5 minutes of knitting, hopefully uninterrupted.

Good Day.

No comments: