Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Desert...

The Desert is hot. Really hot. And I came here on purpose. Sigh. Life is indeed strange.

Actually, we (my kids and I)are visiting my parents at their timeshare here, and it is really a lovely place. Hot, but lovely just the same. It is a wonderful vacation resort/country club kind of thing, and my kids love it here. Mostly they love the ducks and the 5 swimming pools. I love the promise of a little time off with my mother and father around to help with the kids. I actually got some knitting done today that I don't think I'll have to rip out! I was working on the lace for a while, but that required too much thought, and I panicked everytime I had to drop it to chase a child - picking up stitches in lace is not fun - especially when you are having a hard enough time just keeping track of knitting it while your children run wild.

Ahh, but I digress. Sooo, thankfully I had the foresight to think about this, and threw into my knitbag a ball of Sugar-n-cream cotton that I bought a couple of months ago with the thought that I would try my hand at a washcloth. So I wandered on over here (a cool link I got over at the knitlist - a WAY cool place, if I do say so myself) and chose the "cotton" pattern for a round petal shaped cloth.

Here's what I have so far.... Impressive, no? I am really enjoying the knitting. If I sound a little surprised, it's because I am. I really didn't think that I would like knitting washcloths, but Jen likes it, and receiving a lovely blue washcloth in the mail from her made me think about it again. And again. And, well, here I am. I love that the pattern is simple enough to work with my kids, that I can drop it and not cry if a stitch falls, and that I'm liking the look of it. It's simple. It's pretty. It's useful! And I'm having a damned good time knitting it! And bonus, I might actually finish it! I can hardly believe that I might have a finished object in my hands tomorrow. I am positively giddy with anticipation.

Sadly, I have no fudge to appease the Knitting Goddess today, so I'll just have to hope that I am working my way back into her good graces in other ways - like getting my mother interested in kntting again after some 30+ years of not knitting. Seriously people, I didn't even know my mom once knew how to knit until a couple of months ago, when she offered to come with me to a knitting group on a Sunday afternoon, which sadly did not work out too well. But that is another story. Then she seemed to have lost interest - until today. The lace didn't seem to intrigue her, but when I started up the washcloth, I could see her checking out my knitting with much more interest, asking me what I was working on, and how was it shaped. And when I started to talk about seaming it up, she actually started to describe a sewn seam that wouldn't leave a ridge! I can't tell you how exciting it would be to add my mother to the list of yarn fanatics in my life. Going yarn shopping with my mother just seems like so much fun! Of course, I would have to get my husband to watch the kids - sticky fingers in yarn shops make me a little crazy, so I'm sure that the owners would be barely hanging on.

Any way, after futzing around, hoping my husband would come online to chat with me, I think I must put myself to bed. Sigh.

Goodnight All!

(And Goodnight Lover - talk to you tomorrow!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOMAN! Someone has to work so you can knit in the desert. Now get back home and make me some FOOD!


Moo!